Sunday, January 1, 2012

First New Reviews of 2012

A very insightful review of EXPEDITION TO THE MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON has been published over at Voyages Extraordinaires. Cory Gross is kind enough to finish it with:

"Overall, Mark Hodder's Burton and Swinburne trilogy has been one of the few pleasures of recent genre literature. When goggles and the anti-authority scamps who wear them is a primary scenario and plot-driver of most books, his meditation on time, fate, Scientism, Libertarianism, and the malleability of personhood by historic contingency is positively delightful. Of all the various and sundry novels I have graciously been sent to review since beginning this fair weblog, only this and Edward Erdelac's Merkabah Rider series have contributed anything of real merit, lodging themselves solidly within my top 10 or 20 works. They are well, well worth the time spent with them and receive my highest endorsement."

Elsewhere, Lea Peacock at Dispatches from the LP-OP says:

"It was easy for me to pick out my favorite book, or shall I say, books of the year. Without a doubt, my hands-down favorites were the first two books in Mark Hodder’s Burton and Swinburne Series – “The Strange Case of Spring Heeled Jack” and “The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man.”

I decided to read “The Strange Case of Spring Heeled Jack” after it won the 2010 Philip K. Dick Award, and I thought that the book was one of the finest, most entertaining novels I’d read in a long time. It was an easy choice to snap up a copy of “The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man” when it hit the shelves."

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to this, been a while since I got excited about a series. I'm listing to the audiobooks - great for my commute - and I have to compliment the excellent narrator Gerard Doyle. He almost has a Boris Karloff quality to his characterization at time, very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete